Through all the activities of York Minster runs our belief that God wants to show the world his love. It gives meaning to the daily worship of the Minster, and the prayers that are constantly being offered. But the splendour of the building, and the care that has gone into it over the centuries, also reflects the glory of God. It inspires the pleasure we take in welcoming visitors of all ages, and from all over the world, whether Christian or not. We have set out what we want to do in a simple Mission Statement.
Every year we prepare a full report of what we have done, to help others to follow our attempts to fulfill our plans. It covers not only the money needed to fund our work, but the way our different departments fulfill their plans as part of the whole work of York Minster.
York Minster invites everyone to discover God’s love through our welcome, worship, learning and work.
- To play an active role, across the Diocese of York and the Northern Province of the Church of England supporting the work of the Archbishop, sharing our skills and knowledge and working with communities and partners to further our mission;
- To inspire people, through the story of Jesus Christ, through our worship, prayer and music and through the heritage and history of York Minster, onto a journey of personal and corporate transformation;
- To engage all our community in a participative and consultative way;
- To put learning and the transformation of ourselves and of others at the heart of all we do;
- To manage our business successfully, covering our costs and generating the funding necessary to further our mission and to sustain the Minster.