Interested in photography or location shooting at York Minster? Here’s what you need to know about working with us.
York Minster is one of the most visually stunning cathedral buildings in the world. The 800 year old gothic cathedral is a medieval architectural masterpiece in stone and stained glass and is a magnet for commercial photographers, TV and film companies and for PR companies wanting to use the Minster as a back drop to promote an event or initiative. Commercial filming and photography can only take place with the express written permission of the Chapter of York.
Location shooting for drama and films
Filming locations within the York Minster Precinct include:
· Inside the Minster (the Nave; the Quire; East End; West End; Chapter House)
· The Old Palace (located in Dean’s Park)
· Dean’s Park
· St William’s College (please note: availability severely restricted due to restoration work)
· The South Piazza
Unless you are filming for a TV news programme or documentary, we charge for all commercial filming within the Minster Precinct. Our charges are based on the impact of filming on the locations, impact on worship, our visitors, our neighbours (such as businesses and residents) and our staff and volunteers.
Photography at York Minster
Commercial photography (including wedding photography), inside York Minster or Dean’s Park can only take place with the express written permission of the Chapter of York and on completion of the relevant licensing and copyright agreements.
Wedding photography at York Minster and in Dean’s Park.
Couples whose marriage or blessing ceremony has taken place at York Minster are routinely permitted to have their wedding photographs taken inside the Minster or outside in Dean’s Park as part of their big day. If your marriage or blessing is being held at another church it may still be possible to have your photos taken in Dean’s Park but only with express written permission from the Chapter of York. Bridal parties and wedding photographers taking photographs without permission will be moved on.
Student photographers and film-makers
We receive many requests each year from student photographers and film-makers wanting to film or photograph at York Minster for their coursework and academic projects. Each request is considered on a case by case basis and the outcome very much depends on whether we have enough staff available to support and supervise students at the time.
Aerial photography using small unmanned aircraft (drones)
Aerial photography using small unmanned aircraft systems (more familiarly known as ‘drones’), can only take place at York Minster with the express written permission of the Chapter of York.
Applications will only be considered in the following circumstances:
1) the pilot operating the unmanned aircraft has either a BNUC-S or RPQ-S certificate (Pilot’s Licence), and can provide copies of his or her Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) approved Operations Manual (which includes details of the pilot’s risk assessment/method statement, testing process, pilot training and continued practice) and CAA-issued Permission to Operate (which includes details of agreed special permissions regarding the distance from the public or public buildings that the system can be operated)
2) the pilot has adequate suitable insurance and can provide a copy of the policy.
Any attempt to fly a small unmanned aircraft anywhere within the York Minster precinct without permission will be stopped immediately.
For more information about photography and location shooting at York Minster please contact:
Sharon Atkinson, Director of Communications –e: email@example.com t: 01904 557248
Lisa Power, Head of Venue –e: firstname.lastname@example.org: 01904 557282