The Old Palace Library will re-open on 29 September for appointment ONLY visits with no walk-in access. Please request an appointment session by booking online. We will confirm your appointment within two working days. Please have your item references ready before using the booking form. If you have any queries about booking please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please find further information about the re-opening below.
Please note opening arrangements are subject to change at any time in accordance with changes to national or local Covid-19 restrictions or government advice, or in the event of local operational issues.
- An appointment must be made before visiting – there is currently no walk-in access.
- Books and documents must be pre-ordered.
- Contact information must be provided at the point of booking. You can read the York Minster Library & Archives privacy notice here.
- Please do not book or attend if you live in a local lockdown area, if you have any symptoms of Coronavirus (Covid-19), if you are awaiting a test result, or if you have been contacted by NHS: Test and Trace.
Appointments: key information
Tuesdays and Wednesdays only
Morning session: 2 hours between 10.00 and 12.15
Afternoon session: 2 hours between 13.45 and 16.00
- Visitors should not book more than 2 sessions per week to allow as many people as possible to visit.
- There is a limit of 2 visitors allowed in the Reading Room per session.
- Arrival times will be staggered for each visitor.
- Bookings can be made initially by email at email@example.com. An automated booking system will be in place shortly via the University of York’s website.
For the health and safety of staff and visitors, we are introducing:
- Appointment-only visits and a signing-in procedure for NHS Test and Trace data collection.
- Mandatory face covering for visitors and staff (except where medically exempt).
- Full cleaning procedure of work spaces before and after appointments.
- Cleaning stations, Perspex shield screens and signage.
- A quarantine system for books and documents that have been used by visitors and staff.
Further details will be posted here in due course. We will also post updates via the University of York Library Instagram and Twitter channels, or contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be offering:
- A limited number of research appointments on Tuesdays and Wednesdays only to view material from the library and archives.
- A book delivery service for University of York staff and students* to enable collection and return at J.B. Morrell and Kings Manor libraries.
*Non-University library members will be able to arrange returns and loan collection by email.
Other service information
- University of York staff and students may borrow without charge from the Minster Library.
- Members of the public can borrow books from the Minster Library for an annual fee of £30.
- Two Wi-Fi networks are available: Eduroam which can be used by members of participating universities (including University of York) and CityConnect which is available to all.
- Photocopying is currently suspended but self-service photography is permitted (charges will apply).