The Old Palace Library and Archives will re-open on 18th May for appointment ONLY visits with no walk-in access. Booking requests for these appointments can be made via our online form HERE. Further information about the re-opening can be found below.
Please note opening arrangements are subject to change at any time in accordance with changes to national or local Covid-19 restrictions or government advice, or in the event of local operational issues.
- An appointment must be made before visiting – there is currently no walk-in access.
- Books and documents must be pre-ordered.
- Contact information must be provided at the point of booking.
- Please do not book or attend if you have any symptoms of Coronavirus (Covid-19), if you have tested positive within the last 10 days, or if you have been contacted by NHS: Test and Trace.
Appointments: key information
Tuesdays and Wednesdays only.
Morning session: 2 hours between 10:00 and 12:15.
Afternoon session: 2 hours between 13:45 and 16:00.
- Visitors should not book more than 2 sessions per week to allow as many people as possible to visit.
- There is a limit of 2 visitors allowed in the Reading Room per session.
- Arrival times will be staggered for each visitor.
- Booking requests should be made via the online form.
- For any other question regarding visits, please contact email@example.com.
For the health and safety of staff and visitors, we are introducing:
- Appointment-only visits and an NHS: Test and Trace check-in.
- Mandatory face covering for visitors and staff (except where medically exempt).
- Full cleaning procedures of work spaces before and after appointments.
- Cleaning stations and ventilation.
- A quarantine system for books and documents that have used by visitors and staff
We will be offering:
- A limited number of research appointments on Tuesdays and Wednesdays only to view material from the library and archives.
- A book delivery service for University of York staff and students* to enable collection and return at J.B. Morrell and King’s Manor libraries.
*Non-University library members will be able to arrange returns and loan collection by email.
Other service information
- University of York staff and students may borrow without charge from the Minster Library.
- Members of the public can borrows from the Minster Library for annual fee of £30.
- Two Wifi networks are available: Eduroam for members of participating universities (including University of York) and CityConnect which is available to all.
- Photocopying is currently suspended but self-service photography is permitted (charges will apply).