For Professional Tour Guides
If you would like to be able to guide in York Minster you will need to complete the York Minster Accredited Guides Course which will take place this year from Monday 21st to Friday 25th November 2016 inclusive inclusive.
- To ensure all prospective guides understand the mission of the Minster and gain an insight into the Minster as a living and working church
- To provide all prospective guides with a detailed history of the Minster
- To ensure that guides reach an acceptable standard of knowledge and presentation
- To ensure all prospective guides understand the operating procedures of the Minster
- To deliver a course with a range of subject matter relevant to the Minster’s history
- To ensure the course covers all relevant operating procedures and mission
- Through a written test, ensure the candidates reach the appropriate standards
Four and a half days including assessment.
York Minster, Church House, 10-14 Ogleforth, York, YO1 7JN.
Participants attending the course will:
- Gain an understanding of the Minster as a living place of worship
- Gain a detailed knowledge of the Minster’s history from the lectures and tours of the Minster and other departments
- Enjoy the camaraderie with the other participants attending the course.
- Meet other tour guides to widen their sphere of access to useful contacts
- Understand the booking process and the demands and pressures on the Minster’s busy diary
On successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Give out accurate information on the Minster’s history
- Guide their own groups within the Minster, subject to the Minster’s Terms and Conditions
£350 per candidate. This fee is for the lectures, literature and tea and coffee provided during the course. Candidates are responsible for making their own arrangements for all travel, accommodation and meals.
Lectures and Guided tours within the Minster and its environs, including:
- History of York Minster
- Operational procedures
- Stained glass
- Stoneyard and York Glaziers Trust
- Undercroft, Treasury and Crypt
- Health & Safety
Lecturers, Teachers and Guides who are all specialists in their subjects.
Assessment will take the form of written test for which two hours is allocated, requiring short answers.
TERM AND CONDITIONS FOR GUIDING AT YORK MINSTER
· We do not allow any guiding on Sundays, the day in every week when the Minster is particularly focused on worship.
· The Minster is an exceptionally busy working Cathedral. It is often necessary for us to change the days/hours of opening and guiding in order to accommodate the wide range of services and events that take place here, and sometimes to do so at short notice. We also keep our regular service schedule under review, and will make changes to it as necessary from time to time. We will endeavour to communicate any changes which may affect your ability to guide, with as much notice as circumstances permit.
HOW TO APPLY
Application forms are available from:
Mrs Susan Mason
Application forms should be returned as soon as possible, but no later than Friday 23rd September 2016. As spaces are limited, places are bookings will be made on a first come first served basis on receipt of payment.
Further enquiries may be made by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (01904 557236).