The earth is the Lord’s and everything in it (Ps24.1)
As Christians and as a Christian community we are called to conserve its complex and fragile ecology and to be good stewards of the earth’s resources. We recognise the need to operate in ways that are responsible and sustainable. We also recognise the significant role we can play in our community in fostering sustainable attitudes and actions.
We will therefore:
- Pledge to conduct our business in responsible ways, assessing the environmental impact of our activities and considering ways in which we can minimise any environmental damage we may cause.
- Consider how we might replace present unsustainable systems with more ecologically sustainable and socially just alternatives.
- Encourage all Christians prayerfully to consider and enact lifestyles which promote sustainable, healthy and socially just patterns of consumption for all.
In particular we will:
- Establish a management infrastructure for environmental performance, including the training of staff, regular consultation and audits
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation
- Ensure energy is used efficiently and wherever possible reduce its use
- Use renewable energy resources whenever possible
- Co-operate with City of York Council initiatives on recycling
- Dispose of waste in a safe and responsible way
- Where possible to buy products which adhere to principles of fair trade and are locally sourced
- To offer electronic communications as an alternative to paper for those who are suitably equipped
- Take appropriate opportunities to conserve and enhance the natural and built environment of York Minster and its other properties
- Be sensitive to the impact of our activities on the local environment by being responsible neighbours and a good employer
- Seek ways in which to reduce the ‘carbon footprint’ of York Minster
- Look for ways in which to educate and stimulate others in awareness of environmental issues and good practice in addressing them