The Historic Collections include a wide range of records and manuscripts relating to the Christian Church and Yorkshire history dating from about the year 1000 to the present day.
Please refer to the List of Holdings
Search the Catalogues
Most of the finding aids to the record and manuscript collections have not yet been published and are only available to search at the Old Palace.
Published finding aids
Katherine M. Longley's 1977 guide to the archives (and records among the manuscript collections) is incorporated to Access to Archives (A2A), which also includes the calendars of the Dean and Chapter's lease registers (with the exception of the Deanery registers) for the period 1767-1894, and the catalogue of the petty and quarter sessions records of the Justices of the Peace for the Liberty of St Peter, the Dean and Chapter's secular jurisdiction (1735-1838).
The Yorkshire manorial documents among the Dean and Chapter's archives, the Additional Manuscripts Collection, and the Hailstone Collection are included in the Manorial Documents Register. (A complete hard copy list of manorial documents--including some from Bishop's Frome (Herefordshire), Stoke (Kent?), and Well and Alford (Lincolnshire)--is available on site.)
The catalogue entries for many of the records among the manuscript collections (the XVI Manuscripts and Additional Manuscripts 1-319--there are now over 750 Additional Manuscripts) are incorporated to A2A. The non-record medieval manuscripts are catalogued in N.R. Ker and A.J. Piper, Medieval Manuscripts in British Libraries, vol. 4: Paisley-York (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1992), which is available in the Old Palace Reading Room.
Details on music manuscripts are held on the RISM database (pre-1850 music sources preserved in libraries and archives in the UK). Music manuscripts have also been catalogued in David Griffiths, A Catalogue of the Music Manuscripts in York Minster Library, York Minster Library Sectional Catalogues, vol. 2 (n.p.: 1981), which is also available in the Old Palace Reading Room.
Major accessions to the record and manuscript collections since 1996 are listed in the ARCHON Directory.